The Locket Continued

Posted by Laurel Collins , Sunday, May 13, 2012 12:48 PM

And here it is!




The finished piece! I used a bit of light blue gilder's paste on the front to give it a bit of color. The design was cleaned up a bit more after this picture was taken, and was given to my mom soon after. I forgot to get a true final picture.

This one was a lot of fun to make, even with all the troubles. I had to saw the two pieces apart once after accidentally soldering it closed. There was also the frustration in getting the hinge properly attached. The two outer knuckles of the hinge had to be attached to one plate, while the middle hinge was attached to the other and yet they needed to be soldered perfectly in line in order to fit the hinge pin. *whew!*

I really want to try making one of these again on my own, but I'll definitely need to acquire quite a few tools before that can happen. Ah, well!

Oh, and I should mention... I got a great shine on this piece after putting it in a tumbler with stainless steel shot and some dawn soap for a half hour or so. Definitely an important finishing step if you want your piece to really sparkle!

Silver Locket!

Posted by Laurel Collins , Saturday, May 5, 2012 11:48 AM

This next project took me around 10 Saturdays to complete, so I think it should take at least two posts to properly show it off.

I took a locket making class at my local university and knew it was going to be for my mother. The perfect Christmas present, right? Well, this one actually took so long to complete that she didn't actually get it until February. *blush*

So here are the pieces after they had been cut out from the sheet metal.


So, the way this worked was I cut two circles from 20 gauge silver sheet metal which would become the outer part of the locket. Then I cut two circles from 26 gauge silver which became the bearing plates for the inside of the locket. As you can see in the piece to the far right, after doming the large pieces and soldering the cut out circles/bearing plates on, you create a place to insert pictures inside the locket!

Here is a close up of the design I chose to put on the front. It is always best to have the design in place before doming or soldering the pieces!


Here is an excellent step by step tutorial for making a locket! Really, I think my instructor must have taught the class from this tutorial!

I just also want to say that you definitely need a good amount of soldering experience before attempting a project like this. I still count myself a soldering beginner and this project was a bit... difficult. At one point, I actually soldered the entire locket together! It was definitely the hardest part in my opinion!

Next time I'll have some pictures of the finished product!

Been awhile!

Posted by Laurel Collins , Sunday, April 29, 2012 11:40 AM

I have quite a lot of catching up to do!

First up, is my first bezel project. I recently took a class at the local art studio and made this:


That is a lovely red orange carnelian in the center! Here is a handy tutorial that is really informative for making bezel settings. It is the first part of a five part series.

What I have found to be the hardest part of making the bezel is getting the solder to flow where you want it to go. As a beginner it took me three times to actually get the ring attached to the flat sheet. *whew!* I feel like it does get easier with practice though. 

May favorite part of making this bezel was actually coming up with a design for this necklace. My favorite shape recently has been the diamond, so I ended up with this:


I created the texturing with a dapping tool. Yay! Then it became a Christmas present for my amazing friend M. ;)

Next up, will be my mother's Christmas present.